Zero Waste is a philosophy and it supports the redesigning of the life cycles of resources. This is done in order to bring all the used products in a form that they can be reused somehow. None of the waste materials are sent to any incinerators, landfills, etc.
Coming towards Recycling; it is basically the process to convert the scrap and useless materials into some objects that can be reused in a beneficial way. This is done for preventing the waste of already used materials. It has a number of other advantages that include:
- The reduction of consuming fresh and new raw materials
- Reduced usage of energy
- Reduction in air and water pollutions, etc.
Recycling is a very advantageous way and the key component for the reduction of waste in the present age.
Why zero waste?
The basic idea behind the concept of zero waste is to create minimal waste and least pollution of air, water and soil, by means of reusing the resources. It means to design and manage the products as well as the processes in such a way that the toxicity of useless materials can be avoided and eliminated. In doing this, all the resources are conserved and recovered; rather than being burnt or buried. The implementation of Zero Waste will surely eliminate any kind of waste materials to be discharged to the air, land or water and eventually the population will be reduced to a great extent. Behind all this philosophy, recycling is considered to be a pathway to zero waste.
Undoubtedly, there is a great role of recycling while dealing with the zero waste strategy; however, it is not just about recycling and it goes beyond that. It is an approach in which the complete system is involved. The process of recycling is to be maximized while implementing the strategy of zero waste.
Advantages of Recycling:
There are lots of benefits of the implementation of Zero Waste System and the whole world would be affected in a positive way. Some of the benefits have been mentioned below:
- Waste materials would be managed well and all the different types of pollutions would be reduced
- Money would be saved and economy would be balanced by reusing the already used stuff
- Progress would be made faster. This is because zero waste would help in improving the different strategies and processes which otherwise need longer and highly innovative techniques to be implemented
- It would also help in supporting the sustainability. The different goals of sustainability, i.e. the well-being of economy, the protection of environment and the well-being of society would definitely be supported
The importance of Recycling cannot be denied while talking about the concept of Zero Waste and is surely a pathway to zero waste. If the process of recycling is taken under consideration on a serious note, and none of the waste materials are left and sent to the landfills, the implementation of Zero Waste strategy would become quite easy.